- To find the green spaces in your neighborhood, plug in your zip code here: nwf.org/naturefind
A school readiness guide for teachers and parents
The guide on school readiness, authored by NWF's Kevin Coyle, is for teachers and parents alike and includes tips on how to provide fun and valuable outdoor experiences for kids, even with their busy school-year schedules. Read the full report
Thank you for your patience while we are developing this site.
National Wildlife Federation®
How you can be involved
with your kids outdoors!
Summer reading suggestions for parents
Discover the relationship between children & nature
A guide to getting your kids active in the great outdoors
Suggested Summer Reading Lists
Grades K - 12
Discovery Education Home Materials
- Math Home Resources - Welcome to the fun and challenge of mathematics! Here you will find resources to help your child master the basics of mathematics Videos and tutorials explain basic operations and help with the mastery of math skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division--essential building blocks for success in mathematics.
- Social Studies Home Resources - Presidents and presidential elections in the United States are issues we review and find fascinating, no matter how close we are to Election Day. Here video chapters and web resources will assist students with understanding the election process, as well as the powers of and people behind the U.S. presidency.
- Science Resources - Science is part of the world all around us. Here you will find resources to help your child connect science content to things they can see and experience. Videos, Interactive Explorations, and Interactive Videos engage students and encourage them to explore more on their own with your help.
- Language Arts Resources - Effective Communication empowers students not only in school but also in every facet of life. These video chapters and web resources will assist students with their written and verbal communication skills. Content areas included are grammar, composition, and mechanics from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Grades K - 5
• Fabulous Fishes
• Sea Horse: The Shyest Fish in the Sea
• Down-to-Earth Guide to Global Warming
• Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion
Grades 6 - 12
• A Life in the Wild: George Schaller's Struggle to Save the Last Great Beasts
• Explore Global Warming
• The Cartoon Guide to Physics
• Gadget Nation: A Journey through the Eccentric World of Invention
Read more about Discovery Education Summer Activities here. Back to School shouldn't mean back indoors for children. In fact, National Wildlife Federation's new report TIME OUT: Using the Outdoors to Enhance Classroom Performance highlights the vast research linking time kids spend outside to increased classroom preparedness. American's childhood has largely moved indoors in the past 15 years. The increasingly indoor lifestyle causes several factors that work against high performance in the classroom
“Environmental Education can help a struggling student become a competent student, and a competent student grow into a star.” ~Kevin Coyle, NWF Vice President for Education and Training
What is a Green Hour?
The National Wildlife Federation recommends that kids have one “Green Hour” every day. This is a time of unstructured play and interaction with the natural world around them.
The Green Hour’s aim is to get this generation of children away from their computer screens and mp3 players. Kids and their parents are encouraged to spend time learning about and appreciating the bugs, birds, butterflies, trees, and even the dirt of the natural world around them.
Why Be Out There?
Today's kids spend only four to seven minutes outside per day. They log more than seven hours per day in front of electronic media.
Make a difference in the health and well-being of our children--and feel the difference that it makes in you.
Join the Be Out There™ movement
and spend more time outdoors!
Learn more at www.BeOutThere.org
School may be out, but reading is always in! Support your child’s summer learning with the PBS KIDS Summer Reading Challenge! This FREE four-week challenge encourages parents and kids to read together this summer.
Get Out for a Green Hour
A daily dose of the outdoors will improve your family's overall well-being and inspire a life-long appreciation of wildlife and nature. Check out the activities and events listed below and make time for a Green Hour today! Learn more here.
"The Green Hour: A Daily Dose of Nature for Happier, Healthier, Smarter Kids" is a book with lots of ideas for family outdoor exploration that can be done almost anywhere.
Watch The Green Hour book review here:
Need some ideas to overcome common barriers to getting children out into nature? Read about them here.
Fascinating readings for parents
"Evidence suggests that children and adults benefit so much from contact with nature that land conservation can now be viewed as a public health strategy."
The Children & Nature Network (C&NN) was created to encourage and support the people and organizations working nationally and internationally to reconnect children with nature. The network provides a critical link between researchers and individuals, educators and organizations dedicated to children's health and well-being.
Connect with the Children & Nature Network
Get Outdoors ~ Unplug and reconnect
Call for nature writing by children
Wilderness Interface Zone is on the search for an endangered species: children who spend time in nature and are willing to write about it. They are looking or nature poems and short essays written by children. Read more about it here. At a loss for how to get out there with your kids? Check out Hiking Adventures with Children for detailed information on everything from how to pack for toddlers to how to occupy them during the car ride to your favorite destination.
Your Guide to Connecting Kids with Nature
KidsDiscoverNature.com will help you find great outdoor activities for your children. No matter where you live, you can help them learn about and experience nature by following tips to get them interested in being outside. And best of all...it doesn't cost a penny.
Nature For Kids
Encouragement and ideas concerning wholesome outdoor recreation for kids and their parents
Bass Pro Shops offers free Indoor Summer Camp 2010
Free activities and free workshops are arranged by the Bass Pro Shops for Family Summer Camp where families can learn the skills to enjoy great outdoor adventures that will last a lifetime. Learn more here!